October 25, 2011

Desiderata

Source: themakeupblogger.com via Sarah on Pinterest

Tagged: , ,

Comments

• In all the many houses and states that we’ve lived in, my mom has always kept a copy of this in the bathroom. As far as wise words to live by and decorating ideas, I think that one’s pretty genius.6 years ago

• sarah: I haven’t thought of this about this piece in a long time Thank you~sarah6 years ago

• Cadi: This is gorgeous! And wonderful words to live by. May need to get a copy in our bathroom, stat! In other news, making a good, healthy dinner from scratch, a great big glass of red wine, and an extended Pinterest session last night did wonders for my constitution. Treat Yo’ self!6 years ago

• brie.: oh i fell in love with this when i was on the cusp of becoming whoever i was to become. there is so much truth wrapped up in these words. be gentle with yourself. amen.6 years ago

• Sara Rose: I think I first read this when I was an adolescent- maybe 10 or 11 and I remember it from even then. I had it memorized for awhile to get me through rough patches- when life got to the point that just going about daily business would make me shake, I would recite under my breath parts of it that would apply and make me feel better. I think I’ll be sharing this. 🙂 Thank you for the lovely reminder.6 years ago

• Katie @ cakes, tea and dreams: Love this, so much. I need a copy for myself.6 years ago

• Madeleine: I needed this so much today. I feel like I can breathe again.

Thank you.6 years ago

• Katy: I feel like this is just what I needed to see today since I’ve been feeling a little down about work and school. It’s nice to be reminded that, yes, it is still a beautiful world; I just have to be open to letting that beauty filter in.6 years ago

• Sara Rose: I would agree with Katy. I’ve been down a lot lately too. This was a nice reminder to wake up too.6 years ago

• Lana: I have read this many times and I love it more with each read. Have you ever read the manifesto the LuLuLemon uses on their bags? I posted it on my blog awhile back bc it is one of those treasures that makes you feel happy, empowered, and with a deep seed planted in hopes of being a better person and changing the world.
    Here’s the link:
    http://www.lululemon.com/about/culture6 years ago

• Laureen: I’m with Katy & Sara Rose about feeling a bit down.

Thanks for posting this – I think I’ll staple it to my forehead for the next few days.6 years ago

• Julene: As always Sarah, you post the right words at the right time. “Speak your truth quietly and clearly”…must remember this.6 years ago

• Margaret: I saw this recently in a photo book my mom made me, and it seemed odd- where did it come from? what was the context? what era? I didn’t have that info and so just appreciated the wisdom without knowing its provenance, but thank you sticking it in, in your version! Much better than the Always Wear Sunscreen speech, but similarly can make me choke up.6 years ago

• Jesswest: I read this and LOVED it, but something struck me as off – could this really have been written in 1692? I didn’t think the concept of “Be yourself” really had much traction in the seventeenth century. I was intrigued enough to do a little research, and it turns out it was written in 1927 by Max Ehrmann, which takes nothing away from the poem itself. Still words to live by.6 years ago

• Rachel: I know I’ve seen this before, and I loved revisiting it here. Thank you. And I loved your post on brilliance. I’m still figuring out where mine lies exactly…one of these days. x6 years ago

• Maria: Ah, beautiful Desiderata! I read Max Erhmann’s lovely little reminder to live and be kind to myself each year on my birthday.6 years ago

• Bex: Find the history of the poem here:

It was written in 1927, NOT 1692!

But it’s still nice.

Also, the last line is “Be cheerful” not “Be careful.”6 years ago

• I’m so glad you pointed that out, Bex. I must admit “Be careful” was sticking out to me like a sore thumb! 🙂 Stuff you find on the Internet: not always 100% accurate! Ha!6 years ago

• Evon T.: I read this wonderful piece at just the right time. Thank you, Sarah.5 years ago