November 30, 2010

In Honor of L. M. Montgomery’s Birthday

anne-of-green-gables

I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string. –Our dearest Anne

Here’s wishing you a day just as Anne would like, readers. Feel free to add your favorite “simple little pleasures” in the comments.

Tagged: ,

Comments

• Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday: A quiet moment with a good book and a glass of red wine.3 years ago

• Phoo-D: A warm apple pie cooling on the counter.3 years ago

• Megan: Rainy days spent in bed rereading favorite books3 years ago

• charlane: watching tv with my niece curled up on the couch3 years ago

• Brie Barton: first snow in london!3 years ago

• Adrianna: How timely this post is (for me at least). Last night I sat on my grandmother’s couch reading Anne aloud to her. We’re up to chapter 7, Anne is THIS close to being told she can stay at Green Gables.

My simple pleasure is time spent sitting on the docks sipping coffee. I do it year round. So the wardrobe changes considerably, but the feeling never does.3 years ago

• Anne: Bliss, pure bliss: to be at my mom’s house with coffee and fresh snow, and thoughts of Anne of Green Gables. Thank you!3 years ago

• Stephanie: Homemade cranberry-applesauce and yogurt brought to work in a glass jar for my morning snack.3 years ago

• Tall J: A hot bowl of fresh, homemade tomato soup (thanks, Ina Garten) and a slice of rye toast with cheese after a late morning walk through the snowy park.3 years ago

• Christine S.: walking in nature, in tune with the natural sounds and not being “plugged in” to something that causes distraction3 years ago

• fanny | live happy: Simple pleasure: just being. Sitting on the couch and watching a movie. Or just spending the day reading a book. There’s been a lot of talk these days of slowing down…I need to work on that a bit!3 years ago

• Reading your comments. Also, walking home in the cold, hands in pockets, hood up, with a yoga glow after my first headstand. Lentils simmering on the stove for lunch.3 years ago

• Katie @ cakes, tea and dreams: Sunshine out my window, new books to dig into, and a cinnamon-stick candle.

(I just finished my latest reread of Anne of the Island last night. Oh, how I love our favorite redhead.)3 years ago

• Evelyn: Home from the library on a Saturday morning, snow starting to fall, curling up with a quilt, a new book and a cat. Bliss. By the way, I visited Prince Edward Island a couple of years ago and spent much of that time exploring Anne’s haunts. Totally splendid vacation.3 years ago

• Anna: I’m having a frustrating day, and being reminded of her books is a good pick-me-up. Thanks!3 years ago

• Brooke: And I have now added Anne of Green Gables to my winter break / maternity leave reading list. Adding to the simple pleasures of afternoon naps, clean baby smell, cups of hot tea on bleak afternoons, and Sarah McLachlan’s Christmas album.3 years ago

• Sarah F: A nice cup of tea is a heavenly simple pleasure!

And it’s nice to remember, as Anne always said, that tomorrow is a day with no mistakes in it yet!3 years ago

• Ella Pretty: Love Anne so much – I own ALL of LM’s books – including her journals.

My simple pleasure: looking forward to booking a sleigh ride at a local farm once the snow comes in…horses pulling you through a winter wonderland – while covered with warm blankets and drinking hot chocolate….so very Anne :-) 3 years ago

• KBG in DC: Reading the PoP blog while my husband does the vacuuming for once. (it’s a miracle!)3 years ago

• Barbara: After being apart for the day and each working hard in our own way – curling up in the arms of my loved one with the cold rain falling on the windows and his breath warm on the back of my neck.3 years ago

• Megan Rich: I love to sweep and vacuum… so immediately satisfying and productive. I also like admiring clean floors. Snuggling is high on the list, especially snuggling while both are also reading. Having a baby sleep on my chest.3 years ago

• keishua: I love L.M. Montgomery. I am loving a nice hot cup of tea after a long day, a hot bath and my getting all cuddly on the couch.3 years ago

• Bernie: Finishing a container of lotion! Strange but it feels soooo good.3 years ago

• Maureen: Clean sheets, a warm bed, and a bedside table piled with books.3 years ago

• Tashya: Reading a good book and just being there (in the book).3 years ago

• A Salve for Difficult Times « Pink of Perfection: [...] have some news. News which knowing, as you do, how I feel about Anne of Green Gables and Lark Rise to Candleford might come as a bit of a shock, or even seem like a fabrication. But [...]1 year ago