October 16, 2009

Ultimate Buttermilk Recipe Repository

buttermilk

You bought a quart of buttermilk for one recipe and now you’re wondering what to do with the rest? So been there. Allow me to introduce the Ultimate Buttermilk Recipe Repository! I scoured the web for the best-looking recipes that call for a bit of buttermilk, giving us plenty of opportunities to use up what’s still left in the fridge.

Breakfast

Soups and Salads

Main Dish

Breads and Sides

Sweets

Comments

• gidget: WoW! That is a most impressive collection of buttermilk recipes.4 years ago

• Betsy: Oh, very awesome list. Buttermilk was a staple in my mother’s kitchen growing up on a small farm in Colorado. Our neighbors had a small dairy farm and creamery so there was plenty of dairy products at our house (including raw milk, but drinking that is questionable). I even knew an old gentleman who ate buttermilk on popcorn as though it were cereal. Said neighbors were hunters as well. Venison and elk roasts were braised in buttermilk as they roasted, taming gamey flavors. My dilemna today? Which of these tastey recipes to try this weekend!4 years ago

• Simply Savvy Girl: Two words … THANK YOU!

You have NO IDEA the number of times I’ve stood with the refrigerator door open wondering “What am I going to do with the rest of that $%*#*&! buttermilk?!”

I stumbled upon your blog a couple of weeks ago and have had the best time clicking back through your archives. Love it!

(P.S. Totally noted that I exceeded my earlier “two word” statement.)4 years ago

• Emily: FYI, you can also use buttermilk to make homemade “ricotta” (which is so utterly delicious).4 years ago

• Betsy: Oh Emily, I must know more about this! Do tell!4 years ago

• Betsy, My dad drinks it straight from the carton which always astounds me, but popcorn — how interesting!

SSS, That is my EXACT experience too! Good — I am so glad this list will come in handy for you (and me, too!).

Yes, Emily, do tell us more!4 years ago

• Catherine: If you ever need buttermilk for a recipe, but don’t want to buy a whole cartoon, you can “make” buttermilk by putting one tablespoon of white vinegar into a measuring cup and filling it with regular (2%, 1% or skim) milk to the 1 cup mark.4 years ago

• Great tip, Catherine. You can also sub lemon juice for the vinegar if you have that on hand.4 years ago

• Ginger: Seriously, it’s like you read my mind. We love pancakes on the weekends, but I hate wasting the rest through the week. I’m just not that creative, though my Southern Mamaw would be ashamed of me.

Thank you thank you thank you. Lots of fodder for the next 41 weeks. You’re the best! (And husband is going to love you too!)4 years ago

• Sara Rose: Looooooooooooooooove chocolate zucchini cake! Looooooooooove fried okra!4 years ago

• Adrienne: You are a genius. Thank you for doing this!

Except that I want to make so many of them, I may have to go buy another quart of buttermilk….4 years ago

• Carly: Where were you when I made red velvet cupcakes a few weeks ago?! Oh well, now I’m ready for next time!4 years ago

• Karen: So many great recipes to choose from. Thanks! I like the Tomato Cobbler!4 years ago

• CarrieB: Thank you so much! I make Ina Garten’s lemon cake very often and always have extra buttermilk. This will come in handy!4 years ago

• alliemarien: it also freezes easily.4 years ago

• Miranda M.: All I can say is THANK YOU!4 years ago

• Colleen: Wow thanks for this. Everytime I make ranch dressing I have a whole lot of leftover buttermilk.4 years ago

• laura: I’ve had this same predicament. My combination is usually Norwegian Buttermilk Pancakes and Skillet Cornbread– which usually takes care of a whole carton.

I also freeze the buttermilk (if I remember, but sometimes cooking wishful thinking takes over and I convince myself I’ll be using it in the near future.)

Thanks. A very useful post, as usual!!4 years ago

• question: how come you can’t freeze milk but you can freeze buttermilk? anyone know?4 years ago

• Adrienne: But you CAN freeze milk! It just isn’t as good for drinking straight afterwards. Still perfectly good for baking/cooking.4 years ago

• paul wynn: OMG! Buttermilk recipes! What are you trying to do to me, Sarah… I’m going to get fat… thanks for the recipes, I’m going to check on the biscuits now4 years ago

• Martin: Yes, we got one 2/3 full, at least when I checked the expiration date 2 weeks ago. +1 for Buttermilk Bananabread!4 years ago

• Sasa: Thanks for the lovely site Sarah, my Japanese obaachan (grandma) always in her gentle and graceful way, stressed the importance of using everything without wasting anything ad I try always to follow her example so I have really loved the tips on site and your sweet and enthusiastic writing. I now live in Austria where buttermilk is a very common ingredient in people’s fridges for some reason and as well as the usual suspects such as baking, often used in smoothies and in dressings – my boyfriend’s mum did a summer salad (feels like a long time ago now as it’s snowing, unbelievably) where she basically drowned cucumber slices in buttermilk (with salt and pepper and not sure what else).4 years ago

• nonlineargirl: We almost always have buttermilk around for pancakes. How great to have this at my fingertips. I have a ton of tomatillos, so I will check that one out. (the link is wonky, however)4 years ago

• William H. Stoneman: What a treasure trove of Buttermilk Recipes!! Thanks for sharing.3 years ago

• Sky: THIS IS SO PERFECT. SO glad I found this post! Thank you!2 years ago

• Lynn DeLaMare: Country Butter is to die for–and if you want, you can change it to Country Margarine. Either way, it’s great! Combine 3/4 cup vegetable oil, 1 cup buttermilk, 1 lb. butter OR MARGARINE (but why bother?), softened, and 2 teaspoons salt; mix slowly in KitchenAid; then turn it on high and walk away until it’s all white and creamy. Refrigerate; over time, buttermilk liquids will separate, but that’s ok. The buttermilk provides a great tangy taste. Perfect to store in “butter” containers and freeze. And don’t forget to make seasoned butters: add fresh garlic, rosemary, smoked salmon, whatever you want. (Caution: fresh garlic will eventually get moldy, so don’t store garlic butter too long. It helps to store things like this in see-through containers so they don’t get lost in the refrigerator–you know, the dead food we end up tossing because it’s been in there WAY too long!).1 year ago

• cgmomma: You MUST try the Texas Chocolate Sheetcake recipe!! I’ve made it twice for different occasions, and while everyone else’s desserts had leftovers…mine was gone SUPER quick, with people coming back for seconds. It’s a good cake and you can spread it with any frosting…I like to do a homemade chocolate frosting (easier than it sounds) or just a coconut pecan frosting…it’s DIVINE!!1 year ago

• I think I’ve made something similar that we call “Granny Franny’s Chocolate Cake” in my family. So simple and delicious!1 year ago

• Nola Abbott: One of my favorite buttermilk recipes (other than biscuit and pancakes) is Buttermilk Pie. I found it in a cookbook called A Taste of Louisiana. It is tangy and delicious!1 year ago

• Christine Westermark: What a fantastic collection of recipes! I included a link to this page in my post this morning about buttermilk here:

But I do like the idea of having enough recipes in my rotation to just use up 1L and not have to freeze it. Sometimes my freezer becomes a receptacle of good intentions that I end up throwing out after a few years and the freezer burn has done a number on whatever was rolling around in there.
    -CW1 year ago

• Sarah: THANK YOU SO MUCH
    My mother bought a carton of buttermilk recently and has been failing horrendously at using it. Rubbermilk pancakes was the last straw and I finally convinced her to let me handle the buttermilk baking. This list is a life saver.
    (I’m 15 by the way, so eating mom’s cooking is still a mandatory thing.)1 year ago