February 4, 2008

Yet Another Thing Baking Soda Can Do

In this age of specialization, it’s nice to run across a multitasker. I’m not so much referring to those who can compose an email while talking on the phone, climbing a corporate ladder, tying a toddler’s shoelaces, and making johnnycakes all at the same time. I mean, rather, someone or something who excels at a multitude of things. When this occurs in people, it tends to make them way more interesting (like my friend who flies on his brakeless bike and also happens to have magic fingers when he’s spinning records), and when it occurs in products it makes them indispensable. For those of us who have small apartments, are trying to streamline our belongings, or are just thrifty it’s nice to have one item that can accomplish many tasks.

Allow me introduce you to my good friend, baking soda.

On my of my favorite blogs there was recently a discussion of all the things baking soda can do. From homemade toothpaste to baker’s companion to defunking the fridge, baking soda excels at a multitude of tasks. But my new favorite way to use baking soda is in the cloggy bathroom and kitchen sinks.

This is complicated, so try to keep up: With a generous hand, pour about 1 cup baking soda into your drain. My sister recommends pouring hot vinegar down after it, but I’ve also had success just flushing the soda with lots of boiling hot water. Listen to the glug glug glug of the drain clearing out. C’est tout.

Comments

• Melanie: I find the vinegar/baking soda combo down the drain to be one of the most gratifying things ever.
    6 years ago

• Jenn: Baking soda rocks! I also use it to keep my drains clear (baking soda + boiling water, + room-temp vinegar for extra oomph!); am currently soaking tarnished silverware in it, in a pan with hot water and a piece of tin foil (the foil + soda react to pull tarnish off silver!); I sprinkle it on the litter box to absorb odors; I use it as a cleansing scrubber for the kitchen and bathroom (either straight or made into a paste with a touch of liquid castille soap)… what *can’t* baking soda do?
    6 years ago

• Karen: For those of us who have small apartments [CHECK], are trying to streamline our belongings[CHECK], or are just thrifty[CHECK!]

I love baking soda. It’s always in my fridge and ready to go for random tasks. I’ve never used it for unclogging a sink though, so I’ll keep that in mind!
    6 years ago

• Sarah: Melanie, Jenn, & Karen, I love that you all love baking soda so much! Shall we start a fan club?
    6 years ago

• Claire: I am so glad that I popped in today and read this about baking soda. We have a clogged sink at home just waiting for some baking soda magic! Thanks for the good advice :)
    6 years ago

• EB: Seriously? That works??? How have I never heard of this??? You are a genius. I and my bathroom sink thank you. Thank you. THANK YOU!
    6 years ago

• Sarah: I can’t really attest to this working on a drain that is severely troubled, but thus far, it’s a charm!
    6 years ago

• Kami: Baking soda mixed with and water is the only way to get my white counter tops clean! It’s also better for the environment than those other harsh chemicals.
    6 years ago

• Sarah: Couldn’t agree more, Kami!
    6 years ago

• Sara Rose: Allow me to introduce you to my other cleaning secret weapon that is a multitasker- white vinegar. Clean your coffee maker, clean your drains, make vinegar ice cubes and run them down your garbage disposal once a week, clean windows, scour grease, get pet stains and smells out of laundry, it’s fabulous as well. BTW- if you sprinkle baking soda down 15-30 minutes before you vaccuum, it freshens carpets, lifts grit and grime and pet hair, and works better than any carpet powder that one can use prevaccuuming and your house smells better too. You can do it when vacuuming upholstery too. You can also put it in with your whites when doing laundry and it keeps them whiter without the yellowing and smell that bleach leaves. (I am a sadly obsessed clean freak but when you have a two year old and white carpet and four cats you are sorta stuck in that mindset.)
    6 years ago

• Kat: Another Baking Soda tip for exfoliation of skin. Nuke a few table spoons of honey until bubbly, take out and add an equal amount of baking soda and stir like crazy. It will froth up. Let cool, MAKE SURE IT IS BAIRLY WARM, apply to face, leave on for 5 to 10 min and wash off in the shower.
    It’s amazing stuff. The baking soda is a gentle exfolient and the honey is an excellent healing agent for blemishes.
    I have been doing this every 3rd day for the past 3 weeks and almost all of the acne (severe) is gone and my face feels smooth and clean.

6 years ago

• Liberty Post Editor: I have a box right now (as I have for 20 years) sitting on my master bathroom counter to brush my teeth. I never put it away. It doesn’t match the decor, but heck, it’s a little pop art that’s great for conversation starters!
    6 years ago

• Ruth: really? and how cheap is baking soda! “streamlining” is on my mind as well…
    6 years ago

• Julie: MY favourite baking soda use is deoderizing shoes. You sprinkle a bit in there, eats up all the stinky, corn-nut smell that some shoes take on. works with any kind of closed-toe shoe, but really shines it’s perfection when you put it into ancient sneakers.
    6 years ago

• Elizabeth: Love all these ideas! I also mix it with bleach (it only takes a little) to make a paste. Spread that paste on hard to clean grout and even mold stains.
    6 years ago

• alles: I love baking soda, its soo good for whitening teeth, and the best thing about it. Its that it wont make your teeth sensitive. Just apply a dabb on any toothpaste with a sprkinkle of natural salt and brush your teeth normally. Its a miracle whitner!!
    5 years ago